Tip: To change document comparison settings or the level of detail shown, on the Tools menu, point to Track Changes, click Compare Documents, and then click. Merge two versions of a document Open one of the two versions of the document that you want to merge. My favorite file comparison tool was Beyond Compare but since I recently switched to OS X, i'm no longer able to use it and I'm looking for an alternative, preferably a free one. Update: I made the mistake not to specify that I am also looking for a tool that does directory comparison, not only files.
What is WinMerge?
WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.
See the screenshots page for more screenshots.
WinMerge is highly useful for determining what has changed between project versions, and then merging changes between versions. WinMerge can be used as an external differencing/merging tool or as a standalone application.
In addition, WinMerge has many helpful supporting features that make comparing, synchronising, and merging as easy and useful as possible:
- Supports Microsoft Windows XP or newer
- Handles Windows, Unix and Mac text file formats
- Unicode support
- Tabbed interface
File Compare Utility For Mac
- 3-way File Comparison New!
- Visual differencing and merging of text files
- Flexible editor with syntax highlighting, line numbers and word-wrap
- Highlights differences inside lines
- Difference pane shows current difference in two vertical panes
- Location pane shows map of files compared
- Moved lines detection
- Regular Expression based file filters allow excluding and including items
- Fast compare using file sizes and dates
- Compares one folder or includes all subfolders
- Can show folder compare results in a tree-style view
- 3-way Folder Comparison
Image Compare New!
- Support many types of images
- Can highlight the differences with blocks
- Overlaying of the pictures is possible
Table Compare New!
- Shows CSV/TSV file contents in table format
- Text can be wrapped for each column
- Creates patch files (Normal-, Context- and Unified formats)
- Resolve conflict files
- Shell Integration (supports 64-bit Windows versions)
- Archive file support using 7-Zip
- Plugin support
- Localizable interface
- Online manual and installed HTML Help manual
WinMerge 2.16.8 - latest stable version
File Compare For Mac Free
WinMerge 2.16.8 is the latest stable version, and is recommended for most users.
- WinMerge 2.16.4 (stable) released2019-08-02
- WinMerge 2.16.2 (stable) released2019-04-04
- WinMerge 2.16.0 (stable) released2018-11-27
- A sign of life from WinMerge2018-01-29
- WinMerge 2.14.0 (stable) released2013-02-03
If you need support, look at our support page for more information how you can get it.
WinMerge is an open source project, which means that the program is maintained and developed by volunteers.
File Compare Tool Mac
In addition, WinMerge is translated into a number of different languages. See our information on translating WinMerge into your own language.