Python for Mac OS X
Pandas is used in a wide range of fields including academia, finance, economics, statistics, analytics, etc. Related course: Data Analysis with Python Pandas. The Pandas module isn’t bundled with Python, so you can manually install the module with pip.
Python comes pre-installed on Mac OS X so it is easy to startusing. However, to take advantage of the latest versions ofPython, you will need to download and install newer versionsalongside the system ones. The easiest way to do that is toinstall one of the binary installers for OS X from thePython Download page. Installers areavailable for the latest Python 3 and Python 2 releases thatwill work on all Macs that run Mac OS X 10.5 and later.
Python releases include IDLE, Python's built-in interactivedevelopment environment. If you download and install Pythonfrom the release page, you may also need to download and installa newer version of Tcl/Tk for OS X. See theIDLE and Tkinter on OS X page formore information.
You can run a Python interpreter by double-clicking onApplications / Utilities / Terminal and typing python3 (if you'veinstalled a version of Python 3) or python (to use Python 2) inthe window that opens up. You can also launch IDLE for the Pythonversion you have installed by double-clicking its icon inthe appropriate Python version folder in the Applications folderor you can also just type idle3 or idle in a terminal window.
- Python is often used as a support language for software developers, for build control and management, testing, and in many other ways. SCons for build control. Buildbot and Apache Gump for automated continuous compilation and testing. Roundup or Trac for bug tracking and project management.
- Setup.py is a python file, which usually tells you that the module/package you are about to install has been packaged and distributed with Distutils, which is the standard for distributing Python Modules. This allows you to easily install Python packages. Often it's enough to write: $ pip install.
There are many thousands of additional Python software packagesavailable through PyPI, the PythonPackage Index. We recommend you use thepip tool to simplifyinstalling and managing additional packages. pip is includedwith Python 3.4 releases; for earlier releases, follow the pipinstall instructions.
Among the packages available through PyPI are some that arespecifically for OS X environments. Among these are:
- pyobjc which providesa bridge between Python and Objective-C, allowing you to writefull-featured native Cocoa applications in pure Python.
- py2app which allowsyou to make standalone OS X double-clickable application bundlesand plugins from Python scripts.
For more information about Python on OS X, see the mailing list and archivesfor thePython-Macintosh Special Interest Group.
Alternative Packages for Mac OS X.
What Is Python Used For On Mac Computers
- ActiveState ActivePython(commercial and community versions, including scientific computing modules).
- Enthought Python DistributionThe Enthought Python Distribution provides scientists with a comprehensive setof tools to perform rigorous data analysis and visualization.
What Is Python Used For Machine Learning
Python and a comprehensive set of third-party packages and libraries are alsoavailable from several open source package manager projects for OS X,including: